It’s been so lovely to have had the last few weeks off work, it’s not been as quiet as I thought but it feels good to be getting organised before baby arrives. I have read so many hospital bag lists over the last few days and put together my own, so hopefully I’ve not missed anything!
I’m feeling really uncomfortable now that I’m 37 weeks, and I would be completely fine if she decided to make an appearance sooner rather than later (as long as she’s healthy, of course).
So, here’s what I’ve included in our bags, and hopefully it’s useful to some other first time mummies out there. I had a little primark haul for things I didn’t have as I didn’t want to spend much knowing it won’t stay nice.
- A dark towel (my friend mentioned that the last thing you want to use is a white hospital towel post birth)
- Black knickers
- Disposable knickers (will see how I feel!)
- Maternity pads
- Breast pads (I’ve gone for Lansinoh)
- Face wipes
- Hand cream
- Lip balm
- Travel toiletries (I’ve not packed much make up as I doubt I’ll care, but thought a little mascara and some blusher might be nice if we’re not discharged for a while and have a few visitors)
- Hair ties
- An old nightie to give birth in
- A bikini (in case we’re given the option for a water birth)
- Large comfy pjs (I much prefer pjs to a nightie – I have got some oversized night shirts for when we get home to wear to help with nursing)
- Nursing bra (x2)
- Warm socks (I hear your feet can get really cold?!)
- Lightweight dressing gown (mine is white – in hindsight I should have picked up a darker colour)
- Flip flops
- iPad and headphones (playlists, programmes and a few films downloaded)
- Phone charger
- Outfit to come home in (again, I’ve gone for comfort)
- Snacks – I’ve also put some water bottles in the freezer that we’ll put in a cool bag before we leave (if I get too hot, I’m always desperate for icy water)
- Spare outfit for Mr P (who knows how long we’ll be there!)
- Cash for the car park
- I know I’ll want some fruit and a trashy gossip magazine if we’re waiting a while, but we’ll have to pick that up en route if there’s time
- Maternity notes (I actually had to add this in after I posted – VERY important!)
- 3 baby vests (various sizes)
- 3 baby grows (various sizes)
- Muslins (big enough to swaddle if needed)
- Hat and mittens
- Water wipes and cotton wool
- One heavy cellular blanket and one light cellular blanket (the weather is very unpredictable at the moment!)
I might also pack my own pillow and birthing ball, depending how I’m feeling. I know some mums suggest taking a luxury item to make the time more bearable. I’m sure I’ll do some more tinkering with my bag over the next few days, but I’m happier knowing all we need to do is put everything in the car should we need to get going quickly.
How exciting (and terrifying!) If there’s anything you think I may have forgotten, please let me know in the comments below.